Landing page optimization is crucial for improving the user experience and the Ad Rank. In Google Adwords, the landing page URL is specified in your ad and this URL determines where people land on your website. Adwords rates your landing page experience as below average, average, or above average. The landing page experience is a measure of how well the website provides the user with exactly what they are looking for.
Why does an above average landing page experience matter?
When using Google Adwords, your ad rank is determined by an algorithm that accounts for bid, ad quality, and ad format. The quality of the ad is measured by the quality score. The quality score estimates the relevance of your keywords, ads, and landing page.
When you have a high quality score, you bid less for a given keyword. To view your quality score, go to the keywords tab in Adwords and modify the columns to show the quality score, ad relevance, and landing page experience.
By looking at these factors, you gain insights on how to improve your ad rank and the overall user experience. For example, say a keyword has a 7/10 quality score, a click-through rate of 11.54%, above average ad relevance, and below average landing page experience. The question becomes: How can I improve my landing page experience?
Google provides a few tips to improve your landing page experience:
#1 Provide original, relevant, and useful content.
- Provide useful content that is unique to your website.
- Make sure that your landing page is relevant to the keyword and ad text.
- Offer useful information about the product or service that you are advertising for.
#2 Promote transparency and trustworthiness.
- Make sure your contact information is easy to find.
- Be clear about what your business does and share information.
- Explain your products or services before presenting a form for users to fill out.
#3 Ensure a user-friendly navigation experience.
- Design and organize your page well so that information is easy to find.
- Make it easy for visitors to request a consultation or buy the product.
- Prioritize important content above-the-fold.
#4 Make sure your landing page loads quickly on desktop and mobile.
- Make sure your landing page loads quickly and test its mobile speed.
Visit Understanding landing page experience to read more on Google’s recommendations. Custom Creative is a Google Certified Partner and we are here to help you optimize your AdWords campaign and landing page experiences.